You must have at least once had the experience of driving along a motorway at high speed and noticing just how noisy tires can be.
This is something I’ve always found annoying. But it’s more than that, it’s actually a hazard because it can act as a distraction, making you a less focused and safe driver on the road.
My go to solution is usually to play some loud music in an attempt to drown out the noise. But again, it’s not the best solution as it’s just another distraction. The best solution to this issue is to get yourself a good pair of quiet tires.
Here in this article I’m going to take a close look at some of the best quiet tires that are available today. I won’t go over any low quality options either. Only the best. I aim to provide the information you need to get tires that give you a smooth and quiet ride, while also ticking all the other boxes you need for safety and performance.
Table of Contents
Best Quiet Tires for a Smooth and Comfortable Ride
The options below provide a perfect match between quietness, reliability and safety. It wasn’t easy to pick this list out, I often come across a tire that’s good in one area but lacking in others.
Finding a good quiet tire is one thing, but it’s another thing to find one that’s quiet but also great in terms of safety. Let’s get into the list!
Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack
The Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack All-Season Touring Tire in the size 215/55R17 94 V is engineered for a quiet and impressive performance throughout the year. Designed to deliver control in wet and snowy conditions, it boasts a long-lasting performance with a mileage warranty of 80,000 miles. The tire offers a comfortable and quiet ride, featuring 3D full-depth sipes on all ribs for enhanced snow traction and improved wear.
- Brand: Bridgestone
- Size: 215/55R17
- Season: Year Round
- Load Capacity: 3256.2 Pounds
- Tread Depth: 9 32nds
- Tread Type: Asymmetrical
- Rim Width: 7 Inches
- Speed Rating: V
- UTQG: 800AA
- Quiet Performance: Engineered for a smooth and comfortable ride, making it a great quiet tire suitable for various conditions.
- All-Season Control: Provides control in wet and snowy conditions, enhancing safety.
- Long-Lasting: Backed by an 80,000-mile warranty, indicating durability and longevity.
- Enhanced Snow Traction: Features 3D full-depth sipes for improved snow traction.
- Longevity: the tire’s longevity isn’t the best compared to some other options.
I personally covered many hundreds of miles trying this tire out, and I can say with certainty that it lives up to its name and reputation providing a quiet and comfortable ride. This tire showed significant improvement over the stock tires, with a night and day difference in noise. One potential downside I will mention is that I’ve heard some complaints regarding their longevity, however I imagine this is mostly down to how you drive.
Overall, the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack All-Season Touring Tire is a versatile option for year-round driving, offering a balance of quiet performance, control in various conditions, and a long-lasting design.
Michelin CrossClimate 2
The MICHELIN CrossClimate2 is a versatile car tire designed for long-lasting performance in various climate conditions. With proven all-season capabilities, it offers excellent wet and dry braking performance and boasts up to one extra year of tread life compared to competitors. This tire is part of the MICHELIN Promise Plan, providing a 60-day satisfaction guarantee, roadside assistance, and a 60,000-mile warranty.
- Proven All-Season Performance: Engineered for confidence in every climate condition, delivering reliable performance in wet and dry conditions.
- Excellent Stopping Power: Outperforms leading competitive tires, stopping up to 56 feet shorter on wet pavement and up to 16 feet shorter on dry pavement.
- Extended Tread Life: Lasts up to 15,000 miles longer than competitors, providing potential savings and an additional year of tread life.
- Performance in Worn Conditions: Even near the end of tread life, the CrossClimate2 tire demonstrates impressive snow traction, outperforming competitors by 28% to 31%.
- All-Season Versatility: Suitable for a wide range of climate conditions, ensuring performance in various driving scenarios.
- Shorter Stopping Distances: Demonstrates exceptional braking performance, enhancing safety on wet and dry roads.
- Extended Tread Life: Lasts significantly longer than competitors, providing potential cost savings.
- Snow Traction: Maintains strong snow traction even as the tread wears down.
- Size Availability: The tire’s availability is limited to specific sizes
- Price: Premium price tag, which may impact your decision if you are more budget-conscious.
Overall, the MICHELIN CrossClimate2 tire is a reliable choice for drivers seeking a high-performing, all-season tire with extended tread life. While the premium price tag and potentially limited size availability may be considerations, the tire’s impressive stopping power and performance in a variety of conditions make it a compelling option if you’re primarily interested in a quiet tire that also offers safety and value.
Michelin Premier LTX
The MICHELIN Premier LTX is a high-performance car tire designed for enduring safety and comfort. Featuring EverGrip™ wet-braking technology, this tire remains safe even when worn, stopping shorter on wet roads than leading competitors’ brand-new tires. It offers ultimate wet grip, hydroplaning resistance, and lasting winter performance, making it a reliable choice for all-season safety and luxury. Backed by the Michelin Promise Plan, it includes a 60-day satisfaction guarantee, roadside assistance, and a 60,000-mile warranty.
- EverGrip™ Wet-Braking Technology: Ensures safety when worn, stopping shorter on wet roads than competitors’ new tires.
- Hydroplaning Resistance: EverGrip™ Technology includes expanding rain grooves that widen to maintain traction as the tire wears.
- Excellent Wet Grip: The high silica content in the EverGrip™ compound provides exceptional wet grip for everyday handling.
- Lasting Winter Performance: Sunflower Oil and numerous tread blocks and sipes keep the compound flexible in lower temperatures, enhancing snow traction.
- Safe When Worn: EverGrip™ technology ensures safety even when the tire is half-worn, a significant advantage for long-term performance.
- Outstanding Wet Braking: Shorter stopping distances on wet roads contribute to enhanced safety in challenging conditions.
- Hydroplaning Resistance: EverGrip™ technology’s rain grooves maintain traction, reducing the risk of hydroplaning.
- All-Season Performance: Suitable for diverse weather conditions, providing a reliable driving experience year-round.
- Limited Size Availability: Availability may be limited to specific tire sizes.
- Premium Price: Michelin’s is a premium brand, this means their tires are more expensive compared to budget alternatives.
The MICHELIN Premier LTX tire is a top-tier choice for those who prioritize safety, wet performance, and lasting comfort. With innovative EverGrip™ technology ensuring safety even when worn, this tire offers a well-rounded package, though potential limitations in size availability and premium pricing should be considered. The inclusion of the Michelin Promise Plan adds an extra layer of confidence for discerning consumers. I’ve never had any problems when using a Michelin tire myself, and in this case I can say the LTX was no exception. It was definitely high up on the list of the smoothest rides I’ve experienced. I tried it in the dry and in the wet while it was raining and not only did the tire handle well, it remained nice and quiet.
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
The MICHELIN Defender LTX M/S is a top-tier, all-season car tire that represents an enhancement of the acclaimed LTX M/S2. Designed for optimal durability, this tire incorporates the Evertread™ compound, delivering an extended tread life in various driving conditions.
Renowned for its excellent wet grip, snow traction, and eco-friendly features, it offers an exceptional balance of performance and longevity. Backed by the Michelin Promise Plan, this tire includes a 60-day satisfaction guarantee, roadside assistance, and a mileage warranty of up to 70,000 miles.
- Evertread™ Compound: A proven tread design combined with the Evertread™ compound ensures long-lasting tread life, making it an ideal choice for various seasons and driving conditions.
- Excellent Wet and Snow Traction: The tire provides superior grip on wet roads and snow, contributing to shorter braking distances and increased traction compared to leading competitive long-warranty tires.
- Eco-Friendly and Fuel Efficient: MICHELIN MaxTouch Construction™ contributes to fuel efficiency, potentially saving up to 65 gallons of fuel over the tire’s lifespan compared to a leading competitor.
- Durability and Severe Conditions: The Defender LTX M/S offers 10% more longevity in severe conditions compared to the MICHELIN LTX M/S2.
- Exceptional Tread Life: The Evertread™ compound ensures extended tread life, providing durability in various driving conditions.
- Superior Wet and Snow Performance: Offers excellent wet grip and snow traction, contributing to safety in challenging weather conditions.
- Eco-Friendly and Fuel Efficient: MICHELIN MaxTouch Construction™ enhances fuel efficiency, potentially saving fuel over the tire’s lifespan.
- Versatile Use: Suitable for a range of vehicles, including pickups, SUVs, and crossovers, making it a versatile choice for different driving needs.
- High Price: Michelin is a premium brand, which usually results in higher prices than other brands.
- Limited Size Availability: Availability is limited to specific sizes.
The MICHELIN Defender LTX M/S tire stands out as an excellent choice for drivers seeking a high-performance, all-season tire with a focus on durability and environmental considerations. With advanced features, a substantial mileage warranty, and Michelin’s commitment to customer satisfaction, this tire offers a compelling package, although potential considerations include the hefty price tag and size availability limitations. When I tested this tire I found the ride quality to be as smooth as butter, I even went through an old road that was full of pot holes and rough patches, yet the noise was surprisingly quiet.
Continental TerrainContact H/T
The Continental TerrainContact™ H/T is a premium all-season touring tire specially crafted for light trucks and full-size SUVs. Boasting an ideal blend of on-road comfort and off-road durability, this tire incorporates TractionPlus™ Technology, ensuring enhanced traction, durability, superior wet road grip, and a quiet driving experience.
- TractionPlus™ Technology: Delivers improved traction and durability, excelling in both on-road and off-road conditions.
- Best-in-Class Wet Braking: Achieves best-in-class wet braking performance, as demonstrated in internal tests against competitors like Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056, and Goodyear Wrangler SR-A in size 265/65R18 T.
- Exceptional Tread Life: Offers impressive longevity, thus the tire has an excellent lifespan.
- Well-Balanced On-Road Performance: Strikes a harmonious balance, providing confident on-road performance in various conditions.
- Low Road Noise: Designed for a quiet and comfortable ride, minimizing road noise for an enhanced driving experience.
- Outlined White Letter (OWL) and Black Sidewall (BSW): Allows for aesthetic customization based on personal preferences.
- Crossover Vehicles
- Light Truck/SUVs
- Electric Vehicles
- All-Season Use
- Versatile Traction: TractionPlus™ Technology ensures reliable performance on diverse terrains.
- Outstanding Wet Braking: Demonstrates best-in-class wet braking capabilities for increased safety.
- Extended Tread Life: Impressive durability contributes to a longer lifespan.
- Comfortable and Quiet Ride: Low road noise and well-balanced on-road performance enhance the driving experience.
- Premium Pricing: Continental is a premium tire brand, which is reflected in the tire’s pricing.
The Continental TerrainContact™ H/T stands out as a premium all-season touring tire, excelling in traction, wet braking, and tread life. With a focus on versatile performance and additional benefits like the Total Confidence Plan, it offers a compelling choice for drivers seeking a reliable and comfortable tire for their light trucks and SUVs. You might want to consider the higher price tag and size availability limitations. When using this tire I noticed that like the tire in the previous position on this list, it barely made any noise going over pot holes and bumps. It’s also buttery smooth and comfortable, although to me it made the steering feel a little soft.
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
The Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015 is designed for adventurous drivers of today’s light trucks and SUVs, offering a perfect blend of on- and off-road performance. With a focus on all-terrain capability and comfort, this tire is equipped to handle various weather conditions.
Key Features & Benefits:
- Severe snow service-rated (3PMSF) ensures confident wet and winter traction.
- Suitable for diverse weather conditions, providing reliability year-round.
- Utilizes a flatter profile and Enduro compound for extended treadwear and increased overall tread life.
- Designed to combat premature and uneven wear, promoting longevity.
- Features a sturdy Endurocore construction for dependable off-road performance.
- Well-suited for challenging terrains, making it an ideal choice for adventurous driving.
- Advanced tread design provides capable off-road traction while maintaining a quiet performance on the highway.
- Offers a balanced driving experience across different surfaces.
- Incorporates proprietary polymers to resist wear, contributing to longer mileage.
- Enhances the overall durability of the tire under various driving conditions.
- Flat and wide profile evenly distributes weight, addressing premature and uneven wear.
- Contributes to a comfortable and stable on-road driving experience.
- Strong all-weather traction, especially in wet and winter conditions.
- Long-lasting tread life due to the flatter profile and Enduro compound.
- Dependable off-road performance with a sturdy construction.
- Balanced on/off-road traction with a quiet highway experience.
- The proprietary Enduro compound enhances wear resistance.
- While generally well-received, some people have reported issues with rebate processing, suggesting potential challenges with promotional offers.
- Some customers noted that the tire’s ride might not be the smoothest or quietest, indicating a slight trade-off for its off-road capabilities.
I think that this tire offers a good blend of performance and off road ability, while still being a quiet option. I found that the steering felt very sharp and precise which was a nice surprise compared to what I was expecting. I put this tire through a lot of rough driving, and surprisingly I barely noticed any wear on it after hundreds of miles. I was expecting it to wear down more quickly than the stock tires, so it was a nice surprise.
In conclusion, the Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015 stands out as a versatile all-terrain tire. While generally well-received, buyers should consider individual preferences and specific needs, keeping in mind reported challenges with rebate processing and slight compromises in ride smoothness.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus
The Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus is a premium all-season ultra-high-performance tire designed for passenger cars, crossovers, and SUVs. Engineered for true year-round traction, it features SportPlus™ Technology, providing responsive handling, improved grip on wet roads, and extended tread life. In my experience continental never produced a bad tire, so I would regard this as a good option for sure. Although, I will mention that the steering did not feel as direct as I like it, but it was really quiet and smooth.
Key Features & Benefits:
- SportPlus™ Technology ensures responsive handling for a dynamic driving experience.
- Improved grip on both dry and wet surfaces, enhancing overall performance.
- The tire exhibits improved braking capabilities in dry and wet conditions.
- SportPlus™ Technology contributes to enhanced braking responsiveness.
- Specially designed to deliver better performance in snow and icy conditions.
- Ideal for drivers seeking reliable traction in various weather scenarios.
- Features a distinctive and stylish design, adding aesthetic appeal to the vehicle.
- Blends performance with a visually appealing tread pattern.
- Extended tread life provides durability for prolonged use.
- Offers a balance between performance and longevity.
- Backed by a 50,000-mile limited warranty, providing confidence in long-term performance.
- Responsive handling and improved grip contribute to a sporty driving experience.
- Versatile performance in various weather conditions, including wet, dry, snow, and ice.
- Stylish design enhances the aesthetic appeal of the vehicle.
- Extended tread life provides good value for long-term use.
- Comprehensive warranty package, including a 50,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance.
- On-road results may vary based on individual driving conditions.
- not the best tire for extreme snow or track-focused performance.
I found the tire coped well with a wide variety of different conditions that I drove through. It’s also one of the more attractive tires on the list in terms of being appealing to the eye, at least in my opinion. One thing I really like about it is that it comes with a 60 day trial as well as a comprehensive warranty, ultimately it means that your satisfaction is pretty much guaranteed. As far as noise goes, it was a ton quieter than the stock tires, but I don’t think it’s the quietest on this list.
In conclusion, the Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus stands out as a versatile, high-performance tire suitable for year-round driving. Its handling, aesthetic design, and comprehensive warranty make it a compelling choice for drivers seeking a balance of performance and longevity.
Vredestein Hypertrac All Season
From a brand with over a century of expertise, the Vredestein Hypertrac stands out as an ultra-high-performance all-season tire, promising uncompromising capability across diverse conditions. Engineered with a focus on delivering year-round performance, this tire is designed to excel in every region and weather condition. Here’s an overview of its features and potential pros and cons:
- All-Season Versatility: The Vredestein Hypertrac is designed to perform consistently throughout the year, providing traction and handling in various weather conditions.
- Specialized for North American Roads: Engineered with North American roads in mind, the tire aims to address the specific demands of this market, ensuring optimal performance and durability.
- Performance on Major Mountain Curves: Endorsed by automotive journalists in ‘The Smoking Tire’ video series, the Hypertrac demonstrates its capabilities on major mountain curves, showcasing its handling and performance in challenging terrains.
- Sleek Design: The tire boasts a sleek design, as captured by celebrated automotive photographer Huseyin Erturk, adding an aesthetic appeal to its performance-oriented features.
- Third-Party Testing: The Hypertrac has been pitted against competitors like Goodyear and Michelin in tests conducted by Tire Rack, as featured on MotorTrend.com, providing consumers with valuable insights into its comparative performance.
- Year-Round Performance: The all-season design ensures that drivers can rely on the Hypertrac in a variety of weather conditions, making it a versatile choice.
- North American Market Focus: Tailored for North American roads, the tire may offer enhanced performance and durability in the specific conditions found in this region.
- Positive Endorsements: The endorsement from automotive journalists and positive reviews in third-party tests suggest that the Hypertrac performs well in challenging driving scenarios.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The sleek design, as highlighted by a renowned automotive photographer, may attract consumers looking for a tire that combines performance with visual appeal.
- Regional Focus: The tires are designed specifically for North American Roads, so the tire’s performance in other regions and conditions might not be as good.
I found that this tire provides smooth and quiet performance in a variety of different weather and road conditions, and the handling still felt very sharp and responsive. In summary, the Vredestein Hypertrac is a promising all-season tire with a focus on North American road conditions. Its sleek design, positive endorsements, and year-round performance make it an attractive option.
Continental VikingContact 7
The Continental VikingContact 7 is not just another winter tire; it’s engineered to provide exceptional performance in wintry conditions. Compatible with electric, hybrid, and combustion engine vehicles, this tire promises superb grip, precise control, and effective braking on all winter surfaces.
- All-Winter Performance: The Nordic Compound technology ensures excellent grip and performance in snowy and icy conditions, offering drivers confidence and control in challenging winter weather.
- Tracking Stability: The tire boasts perfect tracking stability, allowing drivers to maintain control in various winter conditions, contributing to safer and more predictable handling.
- Powerful Traction and Braking: Master the Nordic winter with powerful traction and braking capabilities on icy roads, enhancing safety and maneuverability in harsh winter environments.
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Compatibility: Suitable for electric, hybrid, and combustion engine vehicles, making it a versatile choice for a wide range of vehicles.
- Versatile Performance: Suitable for a diverse range of vehicles, including electric and hybrid, offering a versatile solution for different drivers.
- Enhanced Safety: The tire’s focus on grip, control, and braking, especially in winter conditions, contributes to overall road safety.
- Innovative Technologies: The inclusion of technologies like ContiSeal, ContiSilent, and SSR enhances the tire’s durability, noise reduction, and puncture resistance.
- Wide Size Range: With sizes from 14″ to 22″, the VikingContact 7 accommodates various vehicle types and preferences.
- Limited Performance in some conditions: The tire can cope with a variety of climates, but it’s best to use it for winter driving.
In summary, the Continental VikingContact 7 is another reliable winter tire with a focus on safety, versatility, and innovative technologies. One downside is a need for more detailed performance information to be made available on their website. But from what I can tell it’s a good option, I noticed that the steering felt a little soft however. It provided good grip on a variety of surfaces while still being smooth and quiet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the quietest tire type?
I would say that the quietest tires are touring or grand touring tires. These are designed with noise reduction technology, featuring specialized tread patterns, materials, and constructions aimed at minimizing road noise. Additionally, some manufacturers offer specific “quiet” or “noise-reducing” tire models designed to prioritize a quieter driving experience.
Will rotating the tires keep them quiet in the long run?
In my experience I’ve found that rotating tires can contribute to maintaining a quieter driving experience in the long run. Regular tire rotation helps distribute wear evenly among all four tires. Uneven wear leads to increased noise due to irregularities in the tire tread. By rotating tires according to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations, you can mitigate uneven wear and potentially reduce noise over time. So it’s definitely something worth considering if you’re concerned about the noise of your tires
Do tires get noisier as they wear down?
Yes, tires can get noisier as they wear down. As tires age and their treads wear out, they become less effective at dispersing water and maintaining grip on the road. This wear can lead to increased road noise, especially at higher speeds. Additionally, irregular wear patterns, such as cupping or feathering, can amplify tire noise as they wear further.
Regular maintenance, including tire rotations, proper inflation, and timely replacements when tread wear reaches a certain level, can help manage tire noise and ensure a quieter driving experience over time.
In my view your first priority when looking for a new set of tires is to make sure they’re safe. Buy beyond that, I think that noise is definitely something that’s important to consider as well.
Thankfully there are plenty of options when it comes to choosing a tire to suit your vehicle while also being quiet as a mouse! The tires that I went over in the list above, are not only quiet but are also good all around tires that are made by well known and trusted brands.
If you pick from the list above, I think you can’t go wrong, as long as you weigh up your different options carefully.
Hi there! I’m Naomi O’Colman. I’ve got years of experience working at an auto repair shop here in Texas under my belt. On top of that, ever since I was a kid I’ve been passionate about the auto industry. Since I’ve joined the team at automotivegearz.com I’ve been enthusiastically sharing my passion and insights with my readers. I’m dedicated to delivering high quality content and helping you stay up to date with the latest automotive trends and products out there!