Do you know how much smoke an average cigarette produces? It’s about one-third of a cigarette, which means that it’s creating around two cigarettes worth. If you’re someone who loves smoking but hates the smell in your car, then there is no better option than getting yourself the best car air freshener for smokers.
There are many different types of brands and models available on the market. In this blog, I’ll walk you through how to choose a car air freshener and some top-rated products.
Here’s a quick summary of best car air freshener for smokers this year:
|Name||Product Image||Editor's Rating||Price|
|Tobacco Outlet Products Smoke Odor Exterminator|
|PURGGO Car Air Freshener|
|Ozium Smoke and Odors Eliminator Gel|
|Yankee Candle Car Jar|
|FRiEQ Car Air Purifier|
Table of Contents
Top 5 Best Car Air Freshener for Smokers 2023
#1 Tobacco Outlet Products Smoke Odor Exterminator
- Eliminates Smoke and Pet Odors
- Special Enzymes Acutally Remove Odors form the Air...
- Made in USA
This product effectively eliminates the smell of tobacco smoke. It is manufactured in a convenient aerosol can that you can attach to your car’s cigarette lighter outlet. The product has activated carbon granules that absorb the bad odor from your vehicle. Thus, it radicates not just smoke but also other odor like pet smells.
Many drivers love this product as its enzyme is formulated to eliminate smoke odor fast. It has a pleasant scent that doesn’t linger or reside for days.
However, some said that the smell is not strong enough.
- Enzyme formulation
- Easy to carry
- Eliminates odor completely
- Great lavender smell
- The scent might not be strong enough for some
What I like: Tobacco Outlet Products Smoke Odor Exterminator is ideal for drivers who are fond of tobacco. Furthermore, it is anti-microbial formulated, which makes it safe to use. I highly recommend this product because of its effectiveness in eliminating the bad odor of smoke, pet smells, and other types of odors. It’s affordable and easy to carry around with you wherever you go.
#2 Best Natural Car Air Freshener: PURGGO Car Air Freshener
- CHEMICAL-FREE - Contains no fragrance, no plastic,...
- ELIMINATE (NOT MASK) ODOR - Porous bamboo charcoal...
- LASTS MORE THAN 365+ DAYS - The world's longest...
Many customers recommend this air freshener because of its effectiveness in neutralizing the odor of cigarette smoke. It has activated charcoal which will absorb the bad odor from your car or room. The charcoal pellets are porous, so they will absorb the odors and other moisture in your car. Once they have absorbed all these, they will return to carbon and emit a pleasant scent.
With 100% natural ingredients, this product is safe for those who travel with kids or those who are allergic.
This product lasts year-round even if you smoke in your car. And at the end of its life, the charcoal will be recycled in an environmentally friendly way. This factor alone makes Purggo one of the best car air fresheners.
As its natural ingredients, it takes more time to tackle the bad smells. So be patient!
- Easy to apply
- 100% natural ingredients
- Perfect for families and allergic people
- Take more time to tackle the bad smells
What I like: PURGGO Car Air Freshener is a good product for smokers or people who travel in cars with kids. It is highly effective in eliminating the odors from your car and will neutralize the bad smell from your car for a whole year. If you’re looking for a natural product that doesn’t contain chemicals, this may be a good choice for you.
#3 Ozium Smoke and Odors Eliminator Gel
This gel freshener eliminates the odor of cigarettes and other smoke-producing products. It is made with a combination of ultra-fine odor-eliminating gums, extracts, essential oils, and waxes to eliminate odors. It also contains zinc phosphate that assists in neutralizing bad smells. The gel has a refreshing smell that gives you a sense of freshness even just after applying it.
The gel won’t smell even under high temperatures. Thus, once you have applied it to your car, the gel will stay on the surface of your upholstery and won’t be absorbed.
It is a convenient product that can be used not just for automobiles but also for rooms and other places but it’s best to apply to small places.
- Easy to apply
- Eliminates odors thoroughly
- Effectively works for smoke smell
- Do not use it for large spaces
What I like: Ozium Smoke and Odors Eliminator Gel is a popular air freshener among many drivers. It comes with an ultrafine formula that is perfect for eliminating the bad smell of smoke. I highly recommend this product since it has received positive reviews from drivers. The gel doesn’t just mask the smells but will eliminate all odors by absorbing them.
#4 Yankee Candle Car Jar Ultimate Hanging Air Freshener
- Hangs easily in car, home, or any space
- Up to 2-4 weeks fragrance life
- Measures .15 inches L x 3.08 inches W x 7.75...
These hanging candles are ideal for removing odors. They are crafted with pure essential oils and 100% cotton wicks. The cotton wicks are designed to give off great scents without leaving behind a messy residue, as some other candles can.
The hanging candles come in several different types of scents designed to remove bad smells, especially those of smoke, food, fragrance, or poor ventilation.
Each candle can last up to 4 weeks, so it’s perfect for those who want different fresh scents in their cars.
- Come in a variety of scents
- Easy to apply
- Perfect for small places
- Fade quickly
What I like: This Yankee Air Freshener is a great product for those who want to eliminate the bad smells from their car. It is full of natural and organic ingredients, so it’s safe.
#5 The Strongest Car Air Freshener: FRiEQ Car Air Purifier
- The strongest car interior accessory releases 4.8...
- Car air purifier produces negative ions that...
- Plugin the unit into the 12v outlet and let it run...
This product is engineered with advanced technology to eliminate cigarette smoke odor. It is made of an advanced combination of all-natural fiber cellulose, activated charcoal, and essential oils. All of these ingredients are non-toxic and biodegradable. It’s considered the strongest car air freshener to fight smoke odor.
The product will not attract dust, hair, or other particles that can harm your health or the health of people around you.
The smell is long-lasting, so the product does not require frequent refilling. This plug-in freshener is suitable for large vehicles like trucks or RVs.
- Effective at fighting odors
- Plug-in type
- A bit high price
What I like: FRiEQ Car Air Purifier is a good car air freshener for cigarette smoke odor.
What Is an Air Freshener?
An air freshener is a device used to purify the air in a particular space. Air fresheners are also known as odor eliminators, neutralizers, or deodorizers.
There are mainly three types of air fresheners: solid block, liquid, and aerosol sprays and misters. Each one of these has its advantages and disadvantages. Solid block air fresheners are usually made from natural materials such as baking soda, charcoal, or lava stones. These are the most effective air fresheners because they absorb odor and leave a nice smell.
On the other hand, liquid air fresheners are much more versatile and can be purchased in a large variety of scents. Liquid air freshener sprays come in aerosol cans and pump spray bottles, allowing you to apply the product from all directions. Spray bottle air fresheners make it easy to use as you don’t have to carry around any bulky bottles.
Over time, aerosol cans used for spraying liquid air fresheners can get damaged. It is usually better to opt for pump bottles that are more durable. The last type of air freshener is mist air freshener, which works like an aerosol spray. The only difference is that you spray them directly in the air rather than on your seat, carpet or any other surface in the car.
How Does Car Air Freshener Work?
Car air fresheners cover up bad smells by putting a scent into the air. Depending on the type of product, they use a variety of different ingredients. For example, some are made with essential oils and other aromatic compounds, while others are made with synthetic fragrances.
The most popular method is a liquid-filled container which releases the scent when exposed to heat or airflow. There are also gel-based products that slowly release the scent over time and aerosol sprays that offer an instant burst of fragrance.
Car air fresheners can be hung from a rearview mirror or clipped onto parts of the car’s interior, such as door handles and vents. The intensity, duration, and type of scent depend on how frequently it’s used and what kind of car air freshener is used.
Ingredients of a Car Air Freshener
There are three elements in most air fresheners: fragrance, antibacterial agents, and water.
Fruit and flower air fresheners can be created from natural or synthetic fragrances. The most popular type of scent is cinnamon and lavender, combining the smell of these ingredients and turning it into a truly lovely smell. Lavender is a popular natural, uplifting scent often found in many types of toiletries, such as soaps and shampoos.
Other fragrances can be found in spicy fragrances such as vanilla, peppermint, and cinnamon. These fragrances combine spices and fruits to create a unique smell you will love.
You might find fragrances in car air fresheners are pine, strawberry, honeydew melon, and apple. When these fragrances are combined with antibacterial agents such as isopropyl alcohol or benzalkonium chloride, your car will experience an amazing transformation into a pleasant-smelling environment.
Different Types of Car Air Fresheners
There are a lot of options you can choose from. Below are the most common ones:
#1 Cardboard Air Freshener
This type is the most affordable one, and it comes in a wide variety of smells. You can hang it in your rear mirror. However, it isn’t very durable.
#2 Bamboo Charcoal Air Freshener
The best choice for a car air freshener. It can be easily placed anywhere in your car and lasts long. It comes as a burlap bag or mesh sack; this natural product can solve the chemical concern.
#3 Air Freshener Mist
In this type, you need to spray the product from above or the sides to eliminate the odor. It replaces the need for spraying from different directions by using a mist. If you want a more powerful scent, use products with extra fragrance and antibacterial agents such as isopropyl alcohol.
How to Find a Good Car Air Freshener
There are some points you need to consider when it comes to finding a good car air freshener.
A car air freshener should do more than mask the smell of smoke. The goal is to find an air freshener that will eliminate the smell from your car. You can do this by finding a product tested and proven to remove and eliminate smoke odor and other types of odors.
There are many air fresheners that claim to get rid of the smell, but the truth is that they cover up the smell temporarily. This can be done by using too-powerful fragrances or harsh chemicals such as isopropyl alcohol.
How to Choose a Car Air Freshener
When you’re planning to buy a car air freshener, I’m sure you already know what type you like and which fragrance you like best. Now it’s time to consider some other important factors.
One of the things you need to look for is the color of the air freshener. This shouldn’t be too bright or too dark. Instead, try to find one that matches your car’s interior. You can find some nice colors that match your car dashboard and seats, but I’d advise you not to look for anyone’s particular color as it may not match another part of your car’s interior.
Another thing to look for is the size of the air freshener. If you have a small car, you should buy an air freshener that doesn’t take up much space. On the other hand, if your car is larger, you can get away with bigger air fresheners.
# Percentage of Fragrance
When looking at size, consider how much fragrance is in the freshener. The more fragrance it has, the better it will remove odors from your car.
Material is another factor to consider while looking for an air freshener for your car. There are a lot of air fresheners available made from different materials.
Natural products such as bamboo charcoal and cedarwood are very popular as they can neutralize a variety of odors, including cigarette smoke.
If you prefer a solid air freshener, you can choose from those made from baking soda or charcoal, which absorbs odor.
Where To Hang Air Freshener In Car
The best place to hang a car air freshener will depend on the air freshener you’re using and your preference. Here are a few suggestions:
- Rearview Mirror: Many people hang their air freshener from their rearview mirror. This is a convenient location that’s easily visible and can provide good airflow throughout the car.
- Air Vents: If you’re using a clip-on air freshener, you may want to attach it directly to one of your car’s air vents. This will allow the scent to be distributed throughout the car whenever the air conditioning or heat is turned on.
- Dashboard: Another popular location for air fresheners is the dashboard. You can place it on a flat surface or use a holder to keep it in place. This location is easily visible and can provide good coverage throughout the car.
- Under the Seat: Place your air freshener under the car seat if you prefer a more subtle scent. This can help distribute the scent throughout the car without overpowering it.
When choosing the best location for your car air freshener, consider factors such as scent strength and your personal preferences. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for optimal use and effectiveness.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Using Car Air Fresheners
I also recognize some common mistakes to avoid regarding car air fresheners many people make.
- Placing the air freshener in the wrong location: One common mistake is placing the air freshener in the wrong location. For example, placing it near the air conditioning vent can cause the scent to be too strong and overpowering. Instead, consider placing the air freshener in a more central location, such as on the dashboard or on the rearview mirror.
- Using too much: Using too much air freshener can be overwhelming and may even cause health problems, such as headaches or allergies. Be sure to read the instructions on the packaging and use only the recommended amount.
- Choosing the wrong scent: Choosing the wrong scent can also be a mistake. Some scents may be too strong or unpleasant for certain people, and others may cause allergic reactions. It’s best to choose a mild, pleasant scent that you know you’ll enjoy.
- Forgetting to replace it: Air fresheners don’t last forever, and replacing them regularly is important. Forgetting to replace them can cause the scent to become stale and ineffective. Be sure to replace your air freshener according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Not considering the type of air freshener: There are many types of air fresheners available, such as sprays, gels, and plug-ins. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and it’s important to choose the type that works best for you and your car.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can enjoy the benefits of using a car air freshener without any negative side effects.
How to Smoke in Your Car Without Making It Smell
There are methods you can take to reduce the smoke smell even though there is no way to totally stop it from entering your car, such as:
- Ensure that the heater or air conditioner draws air in from the outside. If your car’s air is circulated, the smoke will be drawn into the vents and filters.
- To pull out the most smoke, keep your window cracked and hold your cigarette close to the window.
- You may smoke while avoiding the typical smoke smell by using an e-cigarette.
Natural Ingredients To Absorb Cigarette Smoke
We can easily find a great smoke odor eliminator to put in our vehicles. You can use specific objects inside your car to improve the air quality, such as:
Use baking soda as an odor neutralizer on chairs and floors. After a few hours, vacuum it up or wipe it down. You might even leave an open box of baking soda overnight to eliminate the odor.
Nitrogen in coffee grounds can swiftly and safely help neutralize odors in the air. As an alternative to baking soda, you could leave a bowl of used coffee grounds in your car overnight to soak up the smell.
Peels of citrus
Citrus peels are a terrific way to give your auto a clean scent. Keep citrus peels in your cars, such as those from oranges, lemons & limes, and grapefruit. Simmer the peels in water first to intensify the scent of delicious citrus.
DIY Car Air Freshener for Smokers
For some people, the best car air freshener is their DIY one. Making your own car air fresheners for smokers can be a fun and easy way to eliminate unpleasant odors from your car. Here’s a simple DIY recipe for making your own air fresheners at home:
- Small cloth or felt squares
- Essential oils of your choice
- Baking soda
- Twine or ribbon
- Begin by cutting small squares of cloth or felt. These will be the base for your air fresheners.
- Add a few drops of your preferred essential oil to each square. You can use any scent you like but consider using oils known for their odor-eliminating properties, such as tea tree oil, peppermint, or lemon.
- Add a pinch of baking soda to each square. Baking soda will help absorb any odors in your car and keep it smelling fresh.
- Fold the cloth or felt square in half so the baking soda and essential oil are sandwiched inside.
- Tie a piece of twine or ribbon around the cloth to secure it closed.
- Hang or place the air fresheners in your car, such as from your rearview mirror, dashboard, or under the seats.
You can make multiple air fresheners simultaneously and experiment with different scents and essential oils until you find the perfect combination. This is a natural and cost-effective alternative to commercial car air fresheners for smokers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can car air fresheners for smokers also eliminate other types of odors?
Yes, many car air fresheners for smokers are designed to eliminate a wide range of odors, not just those associated with smoking. In fact, some car air fresheners are specifically marketed as “odor eliminators” or “multi-purpose” air fresheners.
What type of air freshener works on cigarette smell?
Regarding removing cigarette smells, some air fresheners work better than others. An ozone generator is the most effective but can be expensive and impractical for everyone.
Other air fresheners that can work on cigarette smell include charcoal air purifiers and enzyme-based odor eliminators. Some air fresheners are specifically designed to tackle smoke odor, so look for those.
Can the Febreze get rid of cigarette smoke?
Febreze can effectively eliminate cigarette smoke, but it depends on the severity of the smell. For mild to moderate smells, Febreze can work well, but other products may be needed for more severe smells.
How often should I use my car air freshener?
How often you should use your car air freshener depends on the type of air freshener and how strong the scent is. Some air fresheners last longer, and some scents are stronger than others.
Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for the specific air freshener you are using, but generally, once a week is a good rule of thumb.
What is a good home air freshener for smokers?
A good home air freshener for smokers would be an air purifier specifically designed to tackle cigarette smoke. These products use filters or special chemicals to remove smoke particles and neutralize odors.
What are some tips for using a car air freshener?
You can follow some quick tips for using a car air freshener:
- Choose a scent that you enjoy, and that is not too strong.
- Place the air freshener in a central location in your car.
- Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for usage and replacement.
- Consider using an air freshener if you have strong odors in your car.
Are there any natural alternatives to commercial car air fresheners for smokers?
Yes, there are several natural alternatives to commercial car air fresheners for smokers.
Baking soda is a natural odor absorber, and essential oils can be used to create DIY air fresheners. Activated charcoal can also be an effective natural odor absorber, and coffee grounds can help absorb unpleasant smells.
These natural alternatives are cost-effective and environmentally friendly options for eliminating cigarette smoke and other unpleasant odors in your car.
How long do car air fresheners for smokers last?
The longevity of car air fresheners for smokers will vary depending on the air freshener you’re using and the manufacturer’s guidelines. Some air fresheners can last several months, while others may only last a few weeks.
It’s also worth noting that factors such as heat, humidity, and the level of smoking in your car can all impact the lifespan of your air freshener.
In general, replacing your car’s air freshener every few weeks is a good idea to ensure you always get the most out of it.
A lot of people have toxic chemical compounds in their cars, especially after smoking. That’s why we need the best car air fresheners for smokers. If not cleaned frequently, all these chemicals can create a toxic environment that can cause serious health problems. In the end, car scent is not just about good smells but also about enhancing the health of all passengers.
But it is possible to get rid of the smoke odor with the right product. Many types of car air fresheners on the market are toxic-free, and they are really effective when it comes to getting rid of odors.
- Why Police Can Stop Drivers With Air Fresheners Hanging
- 7 CFR § 3201.75 – Air fresheners and deodorizers
- Video: How to Make a Car Air Freshener – wikiHow
- 3 Ways to Make a Baking Soda Air Freshener
Hi everyone, My name is Ollie Barker.
As a seasoned auto expert I have 25 years of experience working in repair and detailing shops. I love to share my tips & tricks to all car lovers, so that’s why I’m here at Automotive Gearz publishing my content, sharing my passion. Also, I’ve been giving my recommendations on which products are the best to have on the market. I always thought it was hard to pick the right part, so hopefully I can make that a bit easier for you.
Hope you enjoy your time on my little blog!