This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been driving on the freeway and realized that my windshield wipers are not working. This is a really scary situation because it means your visibility is limited! In this article, we will be discussing whether or not silicone spray should be used on wiper blades to prevent them from freezing during the winter months.
Do you want to know more about what to do when your wipers freeze? Read our blog post now!
Why Your Wipers Freeze?
There are a lot of reasons, but one major reason is the winter weather. Cold weather causes water to freeze, which can make it difficult for your wipers to work.
It is also important to understand that the type of rubber used in wiper blades makes a difference as well. For example, natural rubber becomes stiffer when the temperature drops below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and thus doesn’t provide much visibility due to increased friction on windshields during winter.
However, silicon wipers react to the cold differently. They actually become more pliable and thus can move easier over frozen blades.
Can I Use Silicone Spray on Wiper Blades?
When the wipers are freeze, many may ask themselves the question “can I use silicone spray on wiper blades?”
- It’s not a bad idea for your wipers, but it will only work if you’re able to apply it before they freeze again. When the wipers are frozen, spraying them with water first provides more lubricant.
- Then, apply the silicone spray but don’t spray the silicone from long range. Instead, go to your car and start spraying the blades with a mist of water or a thin coat of liquid before applying silicone spray.
This will provide more lubrication on top for the wipers when they are in use again.
- Silicone spray is flexible lubrication that will not freeze as easily and is suitable for both wiper blades and window tracks.
- Remember to apply silicone spray on moving parts as well as static parts to ensure the lubrication is spread evenly.
Note that: when the wipers are freeze, they are very noisy when in operation, silicone spray will get them back to work quietly. But it is not necessary to use silicon spray when the weather is warm.
What Else to Fix Freeze and Noisy Windshield Wipers
Besides using silicon spray, we can also use these methods to stop freeze and noisy windshield wipers.
- Turn on the defroster, this will make the ice melt faster.
- Using rubbing alcohol.
#1 Will Silicone Spray Damage Rubber?
Silicone spray is a safe product. It should not damage rubber when used properly. But it’s better to ask the manufacturer before you use silicone on any part of your car or truck that isn’t designed for this purpose, just in case they have some specific instructions about what type of silicone can be used without damaging the surface and how much should you apply.
#2 What Does Silicone Spray Do to Rubber?
Silicone spray will seal rubber surfaces from moisture, which keeps them safe and lubricated.
- It also creates a dry surface that is easy to clean with just water or soap.
- When applied it forms an invisible barrier against the elements, preventing rusting and oxidation in your wiper blades. It can help wipers last longer.
Find out: How Often To Replace Wiper Blades?
#3 What Can I Use to Clean Windshield Wiper Blades?
Wipe the blades with a soft cloth or tissue and apply silicone spray to prevent rusting.
- The best option is water, which will clean off any dirt on your windshield wipers.
- You can also use soap in order to get rid of the oil that may be present from previously used chemicals such as detergents.
Silicone spray is an excellent option for keeping your wiper blades in good condition, especially during the cold winter. It helps to keep the wipers clean and lubricated, which will help them last longer. Also, it creates a dry surface that is easy to clean with just water or soap. It can also prevent rusting on the blade by creating an invisible barrier against moisture and snow.