This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
Liners for truck beds are essential to extend the life of the truck and retain the look. It will save you a bunch of bucks from repairing, changing, or painting the surface. It’s necessary but not easy to find. The best truck bed liners show qualities that should fit your needs. In this article, we show you the guide and lead you to the best choices.
- Top 7 Best Truck Bed Tents For Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Frontier, Jeep Gladiator (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Headache Racks For F150, Tacoma, Ram 3500, Tundra (2021 Reviews)
- Top 9 Best Truck Racks For Kayaks, Camping, Paddle Boards, Overlanding, Bikes, Canoe 2021 (Incl. F150, Toyota Tacoma & Tundra)
- Top 7+ Best Ski Racks For Subaru Outback, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Subaru Crosstrek, Toyota 4runner, Highlander, Audi Q5 (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Trailer Hitch Locks: Proven Industries, Master Lock, Connor, Reese or Trimax (2021 Reviews)
- Why Do I Need A Truck Bed Liner?
- Different Types of Truck Bed Liners
- Factors to Consider When Choosing Truck Bed Liners
- How to Install a Truck Bed Liner?
- Top 7 Best Truck Bed Liners 2021 Reviews
- #1 Best Overall: RAPTOR Black Truck Bed Liner Kit
- #2 Best Budget: Rust-Oleum
- #3 The Best Heavy-duty: Husky Liners
- #4 The Best DIY Liner: Dupli-Color BAK2010 Bed Armor DIY Truck Bed Liner
- #5 The Best Kit: Herculiner HCL1B8 Brush-on Bed Liner Kit
- #6 The Best Full Liner: BedRug Full Bedliner BRC07SBK
- #7 Best for Kneeling: Bedrug BMC19CCS Mat-Non
- Final Words
- Bonus: Husky Liner Truck Bed Mat Installed!
- Latest Truck Bed Liner Bestsellers on Amazon
Why Do I Need A Truck Bed Liner?
What is the part of a truck which is used the most? Indeed, it should be the truck bed. Light hauling or heavy cargoes all go to this place. If not for that part, you might have bought a sedan!
Cliché is most trucks don’t come with a bed liner, which quickly catches scratches, erosion, or even rust. The causes are many, from weather to UV rays, hauling, or other natural factors. When you load, haul and unload cargo from the truck, it’s much better with the bed area since it reduces direct contact to the bed and increases traction to keep a hold of the cargo.
Even if you don’t have much hauling work to do with the truck. A light liner on this area could protect that beautifully flawless surface from erosion of rain, snow, and bird poop.
Different Types of Truck Bed Liners
1. Dual liner
Dual liners include multiple pieces to put together. They need no drilling but fit in very well. That’s how they become flexible and easy to customize. No drilling also keeps us away from making holes in this area, causing draining water.
2. Drop-in Bed liners
The drop-in is for instant use. You don’t have to consider much on price since the price point appears quite reasonable. Drop-in now has become the most popular bed liner because users don’t have to invest much time in installing besides drilling some holes.
- Find out: Are Drop In Bedliners Bad?
They are popularly made of plastic molded to fit in. Also, they are the ultimate option when you have trucks for lease.
The carpet for this area is quite similar to the carpet for the house. It prevents scratching most of the time. However, it must fit in better. There are carpets for the floor only and ones for full coverage. Installing carpets is effortless, but usually, this method leaves space underneath. You should watch out sometimes and do the cleaning.
4. Rubber Truck Bed Mats
Bed Mats must be the most flexible item. They are inexpensive and work amazingly for temporary use. Most bed mats are made from recycled plastic, so it’s good for the environment. Bed mats appear easy to set up on the truck, too. In comparison to carpets, this one happens to be more comfortable with cleaning.
5. Spray In Or Spray On
Spray-on bed liners are at a higher price point in comparison to others. However, they are long-lasting ones. You don’t need to drill or bolt but only apply a layer into the needed area. With spray-on, you don’t have to stick with a liner for long since you can change the color at any time you want. The only problem with it is multiple jobs in the application. It’s like painting but much more prep work than that.
6. Spray In Or Spray On Bedliner DIY Full Kit
If you want to spray On but hesitate about the price, you can consider DIY Full Kit. They will be at the same quality if you know what to do and how to perform correctly. However, it would help if you were sure about what you DIY as the work needs more to prepare, and the result could include crumbs of spray rather than a smooth and beautiful layer unless you’re a DIY expert.
7. Roll-on Bed Liners
Instead of spraying, you could roll on the bed with paint. It’s as easy as that. Usually, the product consists of a whole kit to do that. As spray in or spray on, this painting job needs much attention for prep work. And usually, drying the roll-on layers could take about 3 to 5 days.
8. Portable Ones
Portable ones are quite temporary but not one-time use. Users can fold it up or spread it out whenever they want it on the loading part. Most of the time, they are inexpensive, interchangeable for not so heavy duty.
9. Disposable Ones
They are thin layers of protection over the area. Usually, you need to throw them away after use since they barely last for another time. It’s a cheap way to go as long as you don’t desire much protection.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Truck Bed Liners
How much do you use the truck? And how do you use it? The cargo’s frequency and weight will define how much damage it could be on your truck. Therefore, you should know to decide the protection level you need. Besides, this type of liner focuses on different ideas. Some are only good for weather-resistant, some will be better for holding the cargo, some only look pretty.
How is your truck bed at the moment? Is it still new, or the surface already shows some wearing-out? Its condition will give you a clue about how to treat it the best. Scratches could be hidden entirely with spray-on or dual liners.
As you see, the installation of bed liners can vary from a single gesture to a complicated procedure. It would help if you looked at your experience and your resources relating to applying liners. Are you ready to carry the roller, mix the paint, and wait for five days (plus multiple prep work)? Or do you have enough time to open the cover? Detailed setting results in durable liners, and vice versa.
The texture of the liners varies from flat to ergonomic. Whatever it is, it shouldn’t show any hindrances to your work. It better shows some help, such as more grip on cargo, easy maintenance, or smooth loading-unloading. There is matte texture from spray or roll-on, smooth and ergonomic surface from dual liners or fabric feeling from mats.
No matter which features you like about the liners, it means nothing if it cannot fit in your vehicle. Usually, spray or roll-on liners is for all kinds of beds. Meanwhile, dual or mat liners can fit in specific dimensions. Make sure that you check with the manufacturer for your truck’s size.
Will it be a big job to maintain the liners? Some liners need sweeping, which we can do effortlessly and regularly. However, some need more work besides cleaning on the surface. Depending on the material of the top finish, chemicals for cleaning can show particular features.
How to Install a Truck Bed Liner?
1. Installing a Drop-In Pickup One
- Step 1: Make sure that you have cleaned up every corner. The bed must be out of the dust, obstacles, and alike. Leave the corners flexed down to the fullest so that you have the right size.
- Step 2: A typical drop-in bed liner is one-piece so that you have to fit it in the middle, snap around the corner to make sure it falls into place. Sometimes, drop-in could be multiple pieces. It’s recommended to place front and side parts before the corner panels. Always check the corners because these places hide possible drains.
- Step 3: Secure the liners with bolts or something alike if necessary. It depends on if you have to make the holes for yourself or the liners themselves have them available. Be prepared with essential tools.
- Step 4: Check the whole construction for the last time, especially the sides since they usually contain hard-to-see problems. Follow the instruction of the supplier for specific models.
2. Installing a Spray-On/Roll-On Truck Bed Liner
Spraying or rolling on the paint will be the direct contact on the surface. Therefore, prep work before the application is very important. A little mistake, then the liners might not look as you want. Here are the recommended steps to take.
- Step 1: cleaning every corner. This time, do it seriously like you’re going to do it just once in a lifetime. Swiping and cleaning with a wet cloth is not enough. We recommend scrubbing with sand to form a flat shiny surface. After you wash with water, tidy up the liquid with dry rags and again, rub with alcohol to completely move all tiny dust.
- Step 2: Only apply the paint when the surface gets completely dry. Tape the edges if you want the final liners to look amazingly scanned.
- Step 3: Apply the paint from the corner. It’s always recommended to start with the edges and corners of the bed as they show more ups and downs. It’s best if you do the job under shadow so that the paint doesn’t dry too quickly. Painting could happen multiple times as you want a thick layer of protection.
Top 7 Best Truck Bed Liners 2021 Reviews
#1 Best Overall: RAPTOR Black Truck Bed Liner Kit
- 10 x tougher than other bedliners
- Can be applied onto almost any...
- Easy to apply ; Variety of finishes
The unique point of RAPTOR is a durable material. The paint could be ten times tougher than others in the same kind, which will guarantee your bed to be a shiny and smooth surface to last. The material also sticks well to multiple surfaces such as wood, plastic, metal, and concrete. As a result, the rest of the bed truck liners could be useful in covering other surfaces.
Raptor comes with 10 gallons of material, which will be enough to cover up 125 feet square. It seems more than enough to cover a truck, let alone a truck bed.
- A generous amount in a pack (4 liters)
- Classic black
- Simple application
- No spray gun included
Raptor black bed truck driver is easy to use and maintain. It fits in any bed size and terrains since we apply it by spraying.
#2 Best Budget: Rust-Oleum
- Flash point: 31.0 degrees_celsius
- Prevents truck bed damage caused by...
- Textured finish that forms to the...
Rust-Oleum is the best bang for the buck that we recommend for those who are tight on budget. It comes in a can to fill in a sprayer or dip with a roll-on to put on liners by yourself, depending on which facility you have in the house.
Rust-Oleum covers the bed along with the contours, so it leaves no corners flopped. The best about it is the rust formula, which imposes better protection over the bed.
- Terrific price
- Easy to apply
- Versatile in application
- Strong smell
This Made-in-America product works so great for the price. So, we don’t see any reasons to refuse it.
#3 The Best Heavy-duty: Husky Liners
- Tough enough to protect your...
- The DuraGrip HD Anti-skid surface...
- Husky Liners Heavy-Duty Bed Mats...
Husky Liners is a thin liner with two layers. The underside is tough enough to keep the bed safe from concussions. Moreover, the top surface feels soft enough to not scratch the cargo. It’s such a nice thought of the manufacturer.
It proposes an easy-going installation while you can drop it in and flip it out. Some people might worry about airflow under the mat. You are right. These mats are not great at breathing. But this one has air dry nibs which could ventilate the heat.
- Balance in softness and toughness
- No smell of rubber
- Lifetime guarantee
- Cannot fit in the bed contour if there is
Husky Liners could be the best mat for those who do much hauling with a truck.
#4 The Best DIY Liner: Dupli-Color BAK2010 Bed Armor DIY Truck Bed Liner
- Contains Dupont
- No working pot-life, can be reused
- The product weighs 10lbs
This DIY product shows the most straightforward recipe to work on. Moreover, it contains a considerable amount of paint that you can use for other jobs.
It will be best to protect your vehicle from light scratching, weather conditions, and dirty obstacles. Moreover, it looks stunning with matte black and fit in any corner along the bed. The formula is based on the water, so the odor spreads mildly. It also takes 90 minutes to dry up, and you can load it on another layer.
- Easy maintenance
- No need to recoat
- Quick-drying and mild smell
- A lot of prep work
It could not be the most affordable DIY option, but it shows high quality. You spend more work on it, and you receive high-end liners.
#5 The Best Kit: Herculiner HCL1B8 Brush-on Bed Liner Kit
- J-B Weld Herculiner Truck Bed...
- Cure And Set Time: Once Applied,...
- Versatile & Dependable: Herculiner...
Herculiner Kit includes a roll-on, brush, and lining paint, which are enough to help you do the job. Let’s take a closer look at the quality of the bed liner. The material covers tight on concrete, wood, and metal, right on any vehicle. The main component is polyurethane, which shows a tough and durable layer once it dries. In the formula, the top finishes shiny and smooth, which prevents crack and chip.
- Complete kit
- Thicker coat
- Shiny finish
- A lot of work to apply
If you are beginners putting on bed truck liners, this kit is for you since it has everything you need to make a stunning coat.
#6 The Best Full Liner: BedRug Full Bedliner BRC07SBK
- Rugged construction handles heavy...
- Bleach, oil and even battery acid...
- Comfortable knee-friendly 3/4 inch...
Bedrug is a mat with full coverage on the truck bed, including corners and edges. Therefore, you must pay attention to the dimensions it offers.
Besides the size, the quality is considerable—the top surface can protect the cargo very well. The skid texture also helps with keeping the stuff in place while the truck wheels. The most fantastic feature is that it’s effortless to keep the mat clean. You can wash off chemicals, bleach, and so many more substances with water because the mat is waterproof.
- Easy to wash
- High traction surface
- Fit on specific models
Once you want something nice and sturdy, Bedrug FullLiner could fit. It looks the part and does the job
#7 Best for Kneeling: Bedrug BMC19CCS Mat-Non
- 100% Polypropylene - ultra tough...
- Slip and skid resistant fiber
- Superior comfort - cushioned and...
It shares something in common with the BedRug Full Liners, such as waterproof and chemical stain-free surfaces. Skid texture remains to help along with carrying cargoes. However, this one offers a softer finish so that users can kneel comfortably. It’s primarily made to use exterior as the top finish could resist damage very well.
- Specific fit
Bedrug Mat-non could be the perfect alternative for the Fulliner while you want something more flexible and softer.
1. Are our truck bed liners worth it?
It’s worth it because it protects your vehicle more or less. Even the slightest liners could defend the bed from the weather. Besides, in comparison with the truck’s value, cover costs not so much.
2. Is Rhino liner or Linex better?
Rhino Liner is softer, while Line-X shows more thickness. Besides, Rhino shows less flexibility along the bed’s contour while Line-X, the spray-on, could maintain the bed along every inch of the surface.
- Find out more: Is Rhino liner or Linex better?
3. What’s the best DIY truck bed liner?
Dupli-Color Bed Armor is the best DIY one considering the price, application, and post-app.
Choosing the best truck bed liners for your vehicle is as important as getting it an armor. This part is the most exposed to damages regardless of frequency of use. It’s a valuable asset to anyone, so investing in a liner should receive as much attention as possible. We recommend RAPTOR Black Truck Bed Liner Kit for people as it is applicable to all trucks and protects them well.
Bonus: Husky Liner Truck Bed Mat Installed!
Latest Truck Bed Liner Bestsellers on Amazon
- Protects Against Urine, Fluids,...
- Cotton Terry Surface With Membrane...
- Great For Those With Kids, Pets Or...
- Shower In A Pristine Oasis: As you...
- Protect Treasured Bath Decor:...
- Ensure That Step-Out Isn’t...
- ultimate protection from drools &...
- waterproof protection for baby's...
- soft, absorbent terry
Affiliated links and Images on this post was last updated on 2022-05-24 via Amazon Product Advertising API.