This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
What to do with your trailer when you are not using it? At home or elsewhere, the vehicle can be prone to theft. To protect yourself against thieves, equip yourself with a suitable trailer lock. In this article, we give advice and suggestions for the best trailer hitch locks at a good price.
- Top 7 Best Truck Bed Tents For Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Frontier, Jeep Gladiator (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Headache Racks For F150, Tacoma, Ram 3500, Tundra (2021 Reviews)
- Top 9 Best Truck Racks For Kayaks, Camping, Paddle Boards, Overlanding, Bikes, Canoe 2021 (Incl. F150, Toyota Tacoma & Tundra)
- Top 7+ Best Ski Racks For Subaru Outback, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Subaru Crosstrek, Toyota 4runner, Highlander, Audi Q5 (2021 Reviews)
- Top 9 Best RV Ladder & Bumper Mount Bike Rack: Camco or Swagman (2021 Reviews)
- Why You Should Have Trailer Hitch Locks
- Trailer Hitch Lock Types
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Trailer Hitch Lock
- Top 5 Trailer Lock Brands
- Top 5 Best Trailer & Caravan Hitch Locks 2021 Reviews
- #1 Best Connor Trailer Hitch Lock: Connor 1615190 Trailer Hitch Lock
- #2 Best Proven Industries Trailer Hitch Lock: Proven Industries 2178 Lock
- #3 Best Master-lock Trailer Hitch Lock: Master Lock 389DAT Trailer Lock
- #4 Best Reese Trailer Hitch Lock: Reese 72783 Universal Coupler Lock
- #5 Best Trimax Trailer Hitch Lock: Trimax UMAX100
- Final Words
- Bonus: Proven Industries Model 2178 Hitch Lock Installation
- Trailer Hitch Lock Bestsellers on Amazon
Why You Should Have Trailer Hitch Locks
The product is an essential accessory for any owner. Especially, it depends on the weight of your trailer. In fact, in most insurance contracts, a trailer of less than 750kg is covered by the guarantee of the towing vehicle. And a specific contract must cover the one of 750kg and more.
Whether we store it on a highway rest area for a break or in your garden, the vehicle can always be subject to theft. So, when you have put one of your precious couplings there and protect yourself from malicious acts, you need a suitable and high-quality anti-theft device. You will find many types of locks on the market. They can adapt to a different vehicle, like cars.
A trailer hitch lock can be a great protector for your vehicle. The rich variety of these can provide optimal security. There are different models such as towing headlocks. It has the convenience of being able to be installed and kept while driving.
There is also the wheel guard trailer lock. It is useful for long-term parking. The padlock also exists. It is the least expensive system on the market and allows you to attach your vehicle to a fixed point, as you would with a bicycle. This diversity requires choosing in accordance with your habits, but also according to your security requirements.
Trailer Hitch Lock Types
1. Receiver Style Hitch Locks
Receiver Style offers great protection against theft and the outer environment. It bars the trailer hitch and receives it at the same time. The item uses a key system to operate.
2. Coupler Hitch Locks
Different from the receiver style, the Coupler Hitch Lock bars everything that the user toes into the hitch. We cannot separate it without the key.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Trailer Hitch Lock
1. Hitch Class/Coupler Size
The basic hitch receiver size is 2 x 2 inches for both Class III and IV. Most hitch locks are used for pickup trucks and SUVs.
2. Material – Steel, Aluminum & Rubber
Pay attention to the premium materials. They make most hitch locks from steel as they are solid and theft prevention. The steel material can withstand any cutting force and severe conditions for a long time.
3. Lock Design
For greater protection, many manufacturers equip high-quality locking mechanisms for their products. The level of protection depends on the separated components. Some products also feature a protection cover for the key holder, external padlocks, and disc locks.
4. The Lock’s Longevity
Everybody wants to invest in a product that can last for years. And trailer hitch locks are no exception. The longevity of the products depends on their solid materials. Nobody wants their products to be easy to break. So, always pay attention to the material proportions first, as mentioned above.
5. Ease of Use
The highly applicable locks will save you tons of installing time. Especially, most customers want an item that can be hitched or unhitched as fast as possible. Some special ones come with complicated systems, but the manufacturers provide a clear manual book.
The wheel guard trailer padlock immobilizes a wheel to prevent the vehicle from moving. To be chosen according to the size of its tires, we can also use this item on a caravan or any other wheel. Its major drawback is the bulk it creates when not in use. It is suitable for protecting a trailer in its prolonged parking place. The price of this item oscillates between $40 and $150.
Top 5 Trailer Lock Brands
1. Proven Locks
This is one of the most famous brands in the United States. The products from Proven Locks are premium with solid materials. The production stages are strictly examined from the ground up to the finishing.
2. Master Lock
Master Lock is the world’s number 1 padlock manufacturer established in 1921 in the US. They make the Master Lock series of anti-rust material. Customers choosing this brand are to choose an optimal solution with high-quality products.
Trimax is famous for stainless steel locks all over the world. The products of Trimax have premium quality at reasonable prices. They always apply the most advanced security technology for their products. So, the products from Trimax can offer the highest safety level for the customers.
With criteria as the supplier of the safest door lock for your home, the one from Connor can withstand a pull force of up to 2.5 tons. So you can be completely assured when choosing products of the famous brand of Connor without worrying about safety, nor worrying about losing the aesthetics of your house.
With the successes in interior accessories, high-end building accessories, and advanced electronic locking systems, Reese always plays an important role for every consumer. We can use lock and identification systems in almost every field, from housing and hotels to large companies and corporations.
Top 5 Best Trailer & Caravan Hitch Locks 2021 Reviews
#1 Best Connor Trailer Hitch Lock: Connor 1615190 Trailer Hitch Lock
- SAVE TIME, AVOID FUMBLING WITH...
- FITS MOST COMMON HITCH SETUPS Fits...
- EASE OF MIND Tow up to 20,000 GTW...
Connor 1615190 is arguably the most practical and competitive on the market. Supplied with two keys, its assembly is quick and easy. It also has anti-corrosion protection. The big plus of this model is that it adapts to all hitch setups.
Just attach it to the vehicle and enjoy the journey. To prevent any malicious act, they also supply a padlock cover to prevent sawing.
- The product is easy to install and remove with slight effort
- It fits with almost all hitch setups
- The product is double durable with heavy-duty steel
- Comes with advanced technology to ensure safety
- When it is barred, the user cannot remove it except by cutting it off.
Connor 1615190 comes with push-to-lock technology to ensure the best safety for the users. The product is easy to install and weather resistant.
#2 Best Proven Industries Trailer Hitch Lock: Proven Industries 2178 Lock
- CHECK PHOTO INDEX for coupler...
- Ultimate protection against theft...
- 1/4" All Steel Construction -...
Proven Industries 2178 is a real nugget for anyone who wants to ensure the safety of their vehicle. Its padlock offers top security. We can attach it to the bolt cutter proof of the towing vehicle and require no difficulty in installation. Whether alone or fixed, the coupling head will always be protected and will dissuade anyone from wanting to take it off you.
- The manufacturer offers many options for colors
- Gives the best protection from theft with bolt cutter proof material
- Steel cover with coat finish for high durability
- Hard to remove
Besides the 2178 model, Proven Industries also provides many choices of locks to be compatible with different couplers. This model is solid and offers ultimate protection against any damage and theft.
#3 Best Master-lock Trailer Hitch Lock: Master Lock 389DAT Trailer Lock
- Universal coupler lock fits...
- This lock protects unattended...
- Resists rust and corrosion. Simple...
This anti-theft device from this item offers proper security to your vehicle. Its padlock system gives it total protection. It also has a lock indicator. The product is also very robust since it can reach 3000 kilos of towed load and a support load of 120 kilos. This anti-theft device will be an essential accessory for those who are most concerned about security.
- Fits with many types of trailer couplers
- Bright color that resists fading and corrosions
- Easy to install and remove
- Sometimes, it gives false security
Master Lock 389DAT is one of the best trailer hitch couplers locks with advanced functions and dynamic design.
#4 Best Reese Trailer Hitch Lock: Reese 72783 Universal Coupler Lock
- DIMENSIONS: 9” x 9” x 3”
- BUILT TO LAST: The REESE Towpower...
- UNIVERSAL FIT: Ratchet design is...
Simple and efficient, it is how in two words we could summarize the anti-theft system. But it’s hitch universal, Reese 72783 Universal Coupler allows you to secure both your trailer and your caravan. It also offers a strong padlock against sawing. In seconds, you can remove and undo this product. This feature makes the product easily transportable and particularly practical.
- Premium construction for a long-lasting lifespan
- Ratchet design to fit with multiple couplers
- High visibility with vibrant color
- Low security
Reese 72783 Universal Coupler is a brilliant choice to guard the truck or trailer tow away. The product has a unique design with vibrant color.
#5 Best Trimax Trailer Hitch Lock: Trimax UMAX100
- Crafted from the highest quality...
- Perfect for outdoor and even indoor...
- Made in China
Trimax UMAX100 adapts to any trailer. Its nickel-plated zinc body gives it significant resistance and flawless robustness. The product has optimal resistance to bad weather. It is also very convenient and easy to install or remove. You can carry it anywhere. Supplied with two keys, it will provide unparalleled protection for your vehicle.
- Premium materials for weather and dust resistance
- Easy to use and install
- A perfect product for indoor and outdoor vehicles
- Loose fit
Trimax UMAX100 is made from the best materials. The product is perfect for both indoors and outdoors.
1. What is the best trailer hitch lock?
The item is a necessity to protect your vehicle against theft. There are many types available on the market, each with specific characteristics. Choosing an effective anti-theft device is simple. However, there are a few very important criteria you should consider. In this article, discover the essential information to know and the most efficient ones available on the market.
2. What is the best anti-theft lock for travel trailers?
It is a device that securely holds the hitch and the receiver and thus protects the vehicle and these accessories against theft. It is also called a coupler lock. The item prevents any lifting of the receiver. A malicious individual cannot unhitch the trailer without deactivating the lock.
This item is very useful when the trailer is detached from the vehicle. Besides, the coupling headlock has a powerful deterrent effect. The mere sight of the device will make the thief change his mind. So, he is interested in the one that is easier to steal.
There are several types including universal lock, parking lock, and coupling headlock. There is also the towing trailer anti-theft device available in models guaranteeing optimal security. A tow ball can also protect the vehicle. Finally, several other equally effective devices attach to the wheels.
The trailer lock fits over the tongue coupler of the trailer and acts as an insurance policy. You can do its installation in a few minutes. We can attach the item to the drawbar using bolts. It usually has a padlock that is used to open the cap of the block. Then place some models on the coupling ball.
We place them at the level of the kneecap for better security. Others have nuts that can be placed on one or both wheels at a time. It is also possible to place the anti-theft device on the wheel support.
3. Can you lock a trailer hitch?
We recommend attaching the safety cable holder to a non-removable part of the towbar or directly to the car. In this way, you will be sure of having a safety device in line with all the best practices.
4. How do I protect my trailer from being stolen?
Without wanting to impose anything, the solution that we quickly favored adapts to any situation. A simple anti-theft cable equipped with a good padlock allows you to secure your axle to any post barrier on your car.
We find them everywhere, especially in automotive equipment stores. For a very reasonable budget, their length of three to five meters meets all requirements.
Among the five best trailer hitch locks, Connor 1615190 Trailer Hitch Lock wins our hearts thanks to its excellent protection, solid construction, reasonable price, and long-lasting lifespan. In case you want a popping lock, Proven Industries 2178 Lock stands out with its vibrant color and modern design.
Bonus: Proven Industries Model 2178 Hitch Lock Installation
Trailer Hitch Lock Bestsellers on Amazon
- DIMENSIONS: 9” x 9” x 3”
- BUILT TO LAST: The REESE Towpower...
- UNIVERSAL FIT: Ratchet design is...
- DEPENDABLE SECURITY. To protect...
- EASY TO OPERATE. The barbell-style...
- VERSATILE. With a 5/8-inch diameter...
- AMERICAN OWNED, FAMILY OPERATED -...
- ANTI-THEFT HITCH PIN - Solid...
- COMMON HITCH SIZES - Our Unique...
Affiliated links and Images on this post was last updated on 2021-09-24 via Amazon Product Advertising API.