This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
Why is the Engine Coolant important? Let me tell you. The engine coolant is necessary to maintain your engine’s lifespan. It is a water-based liquid that helps draw heat out of your engine or avoid being frozen when the temperature is too low.
However, there are various products on the market nowadays. And they don’t perform the same. If you don’t want to cause any damage to your car, you must read the information and guideline carefully before purchasing.
In this article, I will review the top 7 best engine coolants that you shouldn’t miss. Then we will check out how to choose the best product for your car.
- Top 9 Best Brake Rotors: ACDelco or Bosch QuiteCast (2020 Reviews)
- Top 9 Best HID Conversion Kits: Innovited, XtremeVision or Kensun (2020 Reviews)
- Top 7 Best Engine Coolants 2020 Reviews
- #1 Best Overall: Zerex G05 Coolant
- #2 Best Lifespan: Honda Genuine Coolant Type 2
- #3 Best for Ford: Genuine Ford Fluid VC-7-B Gold Coolant
- #4 Best Performance: Evans EC5301 Coolant
- #5 Best Environment-friendly: Engine Ice TYDS008-03 Coolant
- #6 Best Versatile: Havoline Xtended Life Coolant
- #7 Best for Older Cars: K-Seal Coolant
- Factors To Consider When Buying the Best Engine Coolants
- Final Words
- DIY: How to Quick Flush & Change Engine Coolant
- Latest Auto Engine Coolants Bestselling on Amazon!
Top 7 Best Engine Coolants 2020 Reviews
#1 Best Overall: Zerex G05 Coolant
The first product of the list is Zerex G05. I love this coolant because it is highly effective, even when you use heavy-duty vehicles. And it is quite reasonable.
Both diesel and gasoline engines can use Zerex G05. However, some additives in the ingredients make this coolant more beneficial to the diesel engines. They design this coolant to have nitrite containing additives to protect diesel engines from cavitation. Do you know that cavitation erosion is one of the most common types?
Read more: Which one is the Best Alternator Brand?
The formula features a lower silicate. The PH levels are reduced. The phosphate-free European technology can help protect metals in the cooling system. Moreover, this coolant comes with a high-quality defoamer system, which causes no harm to the plastics and hoses in the system.
This coolant is a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT). This technology makes it legal to be used in Europe.
- Highly effective, for both gasoline and diesel engines
- Nitrite containing additive to protect diesel engine from cavitation
- Reduced PH levels
- Hybrid organic acid technology
- High-quality defoamer system causing no harm to the plastics and hoses
- Should provide a bittering agent
It is not easy to find a better formula than Zerex G05 Coolant with this price on the market. The high-quality composition works very well for even newer vehicles’ models like BMW, Mercedes, Dodge Ram.
#2 Best Lifespan: Honda Genuine Coolant Type 2
- Extended life formulation 5...
- Better cooling performance
- Performance under extreme operating...
Honda Genuine is a product of Honda company. It is highly appraised for durability. This coolant works well for around 3-4 years or even longer, depending on the number of miles you travel.
Don’t be confused by the name. Honda Genuine Coolant can be used for vehicles of other brands too. For Honda vehicles, this is the OEM coolant. You can trust in the quality of this product because Honda is a reliable name in the automaker industry.
The Ethylene glycol contained in the coolant can protect the aluminum auto parts in your car’s radiator. This product is pre-mixed with a ratio of 50 water and 50 glycols. You don’t need to add more water. You can use it right after purchasing it. There are no silicate or borates in this coolant.
In terms of price, this product is in the middle, not too expensive. But if you own an older car’s model, maybe you want to look for a cheaper alternative.
- Can use for many brands of vehicles
- Reliable quality
- Ethylene glycol contained to protect the aluminum parts in your car’s radiator
- Pre-mixed with the ratio of 50 water and 50 glycol
- No silicate or borates
- Packaging should be improved
You should focus on the quality of Honda Genuine Coolant Type 2. The durability and efficiency are worth buying rather than considering the packaging.
#3 Best for Ford: Genuine Ford Fluid VC-7-B Gold Coolant
- Yellow-colored, longer-life,...
- Provides year-round antifreeze,...
- A 50/50 mixture of coolant and...
The Ford company produces the Genuine Ford Fluid VC-7-B. This product is the best for any Ford vehicle on the market. You can use both gasoline and diesel engines. The fluid can help maintain your Fords cool at the same time, prevent the corrosion in the radiator.
Nowadays, modern cars are designed with radiators, which are made of strong plastic, so corrosion is not a big deal. But an engine coolant is very necessary for the older models. This fluid features yellow color. It is an ethylene glycol-base coolant.
Unlike some other products, this is a concentrated format coolant. It requires you to mix with distilled water by yourself before using it. Remember that the ratio is 50/50. With this liquid, it can protect your engine from over-boiling. Your engine can stand the heat up to 129 ˚C.
You shouldn’t mix the coolant with different colors in your engine. Don’t forget that! The good thing is that the manufacturer adds a bittering agent to prevent children and animals from being poisoned by the sweet-tasting liquid.
- Best for Fords
- Can use for both gasoline and diesel engine
- Yellow color
- Ethylene glycol-based coolant.
- Concentrated format coolant
- Boiling protection up to 129 ˚C
- A bittering agent is added
- You have to mix the liquid by yourself
Even though you need to do your own liquid for engine coolant but it is not hard work. If you are owning a Ford and you want the best for it, then Genuine Ford Fluid VC-7-B Gold Coolant is a good choice.
#4 Best Performance: Evans EC5301 Coolant
- Specifically designed for all...
- Has a boiling point of 375 DegreeF...
- Contains no water, effectively...
The Evans EC5301 is one of the best coolants for water-free and high boiling point. Besides, it is suitable for different types of engines, such as classic, modern, vintage gasoline-powered vehicles, or LP/ CNG vehicles.
Thanks to the water-free formula, this coolant can work well without causing any corrosion or electrolysis issues in the cooling system. This can save your money and time at maintaining the engine—the Evans in unbeatable in terms of boiling point. The engine can reach 190˚C without any problem. This is very impressive.
If your car’s engines are overheated often, this is one of the best coolant brands to choose from. It helps eliminate pre-ignition and engine knock, which are caused by overheating. This can improve combustion efficiency to deliver more power.
The color varies, but the most common one is yellow. When you install this coolant, you need to ensure that all odd water-base coolant is removed.
- High boiling point (190 ˚C)
- Water-free coolant
- Eliminate pre-ignition and engine knock which are caused by overheating
- Improve the combustion efficiency to deliver more power
- Suitable for different types of vehicles
- It is pricey
Genuine Ford Fluid VC-7-B Gold Coolant might be more expensive than some others, but it is a good investment. It can help reduce the maintenance cost later.
#5 Best Environment-friendly: Engine Ice TYDS008-03 Coolant
- Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant...
- With an average reduction in...
- Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant...
The Engine Ice TYDs008-03 is well-known for having phosphate-free and no toxic. This coolant contains organic additives, which are more friendly to the environment, children, and pets.
This coolant uses propylene glycol, which can eliminate water pump gasket and seal failures. It is more biodegradable. It is pre-mixed with de-ionized water already, so you don’t need to add water after buying. This product provides the boiling protection up to 124 ˚C.
You can use Engine Ice for race cars, bikes, or any vehicles driving in desert conditions. It is permitted to use on racing tracks because of CCS and ASRA. This coolant ensures to keep your engines’ performance at the highest levels.
This coolant’s formula is blue. You have to flush your engine thoroughly before using this coolant.
- No toxic
- Propylene glycol to eliminate water pump gasket and seal failures
- Pre-mixed with de-ionized water
- Permitted to use on racing tracks because of CCS and ASRA
- You have to do a full engine flush before using
Engine Ice is worth buying for its being non-toxic and friendly to the environment. If you have to often drive in hot climates, this is the right choice.
#6 Best Versatile: Havoline Xtended Life Coolant
- OEM Approval - Meets requirements...
- Wide service application -...
- Heat Transfer - Improved heat...
The Havoline Xtended Life is highly recommended to use in domestic, Asian, and European. It is able to work well in any vehicle, from newer hybrid ones to heavy-duty trucks.
This coolant is produced without silicates. That is why it can transfer the heat more efficiently. The manufacturer suggests you change the coolant if your running distance is more than 150,000 miles.
Havoline contains ethylene glycol, and you shouldn’t mix it with propylene coolant ( this is often used for old cars). This product is pre-mixed with water so that you can use it right away. You won’t have to worry that you will mix it wrongly.
The coolant has OEM approval. It also meets the requirements of GM DEX-COOL under the GM6277M specification.
- Works well for any vehicle from newer hybrid ones to heavy-duty trucks
- No silicates
- Can run 150,000 miles
- Ethylene glycol coolant
- Pre-mixed with water
- OEM approval
- Expected to last longer
Havoline Xtended Life Coolant is very efficient and convenient. You can use it for various vehicles.
#7 Best for Older Cars: K-Seal Coolant
- REPAIRS IN MINUTES: Formulated to...
- SEALS CRACKS AND STOPS LEAKS: A DIY...
- POUR AND GO: Our cooling system...
The K-Seal coolant is a bit different from the above products. It provides a professional solution to older vehicles or the ones that have got some problems with the cooling system before.
This coolant can fix some minor issues in your car’s radiator, such as leaks or cracks, etc. This helps you save the cost of repairing old cars. This is a cheaper option for you.
This product is tested by scientists. It is effective and safe. It can help seal leaks up to the size of 1/32 of an inch. The repair can stand the chamber’s high pressure. It won’t clog the cooling system.
It is a very convenient K-seal coolant. All you need to do are: shake the bottle, then add to the overflow, then function the engine. No flushing or draining is required. It can be mixed with different types of coolant.
- Best for old cars
- Fix some minor issues in the car’s radiator to help save money
- Use with ease
- No flushing or draining needed
- Safe and effective
- Can seal leaks up to 1/32 of an inch
- Best for old cars only
If you have an old car and don’t want to invest too much at repairing minor issues, K-Seal Coolant is a perfect selection.
Factors To Consider When Buying the Best Engine Coolants
There are three main types on the market, namely Organic Acid Technology (OAT), Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT), and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT). IAT is in green color and more toxic than the HOAT coolant. OAT is the most friendly to the environment. HOAT and OAT are both added with some organic additives. Thanks to this, the cooling system can last longer if you use these types.
- Top 9 Best Car Brake Brands: Bosch, Power Stop, Wagner or Akebono (2020 Reviews)
- Top 9 Best Car Brake Pad Brands: Akebono, Bosch or Wagner (2020 Reviews)
- Top 7 Best Fuel Filters For Gasoline & Diesel: ACDelco or Cummins (2020 Reviews)
If your vehicle is produced before 2002, you should use the IAT. The rest are more suitable for newer vehicles.
2. Vehicle model
You have to know the model of your vehicle to make sure you will choose the right coolant for it. The manufacturer always recommends you. Don’t try to switch to another coolant if it is already stated in your vehicle.
If you are not sure which type of coolant is compatible with your vehicle, you can always contact the manufactures via email. And this carefulness can reduce the risk of destroying the engine and cooling system.
Do you know that the coolant liquid is very toxic? And kids might not distinguish what is what. That is why I highly recommend you choose a product that contains a bittering agent.
The ewer products are made from propylene glycol. This is considered less toxic to kids and animals.
4. Safety Standard
Some coolants are banned from using in the US for causing harm to the environment. If the OEM makes the coolant, then it is certified to meet the safety standard. This means your health might be impacted if you use an unsafe product too. Check it carefully!
1. What can happen if I use the wrong coolant?
Using the wrong coolant can damage your engine and the water pump, radiator hoses, and radiator. Also, it can gradually cause corrosion.
2. Can I mix coolant brands?
Yes. But you should read and check the guideline before doing this. Otherwise, the inhibitors might be weakened.
3. How much should a coolant flush cost?
It costs around $100 to $150 depending on the mechanics.
To sum up, I can not decide which product you should choose. But hopefully, the article is helpful enough, so you can find the best engine coolant after reading this.
To be honest, I will choose the Zerex G05 Coolant because this brand is very reliable. It is high performing and doesn’t cost too much. But if you want a more affordable product, I highly suggest you go for Honda Genuine Coolant Type 2. It lasts long and not expensive at all.
- Top 9 Best Performance Mufflers & Best Brands: Magnaflow or Flowmaster (2020 Reviews)
- Top 9 Best Rated Serpentine Belts & Brands: Gates, ACDelco or Bando (2020 Reviews)
- Top 7 Best Cabin Air Filters & Brands For Chevy, Honda, Acura & Mazda: Fram, EPAuto or K&N (2020 Reviews)
DIY: How to Quick Flush & Change Engine Coolant
Latest Auto Engine Coolants Bestselling on Amazon!
- Designed to replenish the corrosion...
- Do not mix different colors or...
- Do not mix different colors or...
- Provides protection down to -34...
- Helps prevent rust and corrosion
- A patented organic acid corrosion...
Affiliated links and Images on this post was last updated on 2021-02-28 via Amazon Product Advertising API.